Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chapter 3: Discovering the Truth

The igloo was quiet and still. Moments later, the silence was broken with, " Happy Birthday Efred!" Elfred had just walked into the igloo after a long day of fishing in the nearby pond and saw the igloo packed with his family and friends. Belle and Noah Chillington, Elfred's penguin parents, organized the surprise party.
" Hey Elfred, do you feel any older?" asked Elfred's best friend, Wally.
" Hey Wally, I still feel the same." replied Elfred.
Wally was a Fairy Penguin, which is the smallest type of penguin standing at 16 inches. Even though he was small, he was the bravest penguin Elfred ever saw. Elfred met Wally at Ice Valley fishing pond, where all the young penguins went to fish.
Elfred now was 13 years old and as an elf, he is now able to work in Santa's Workshop. But Elfred doesn't go to the school like most elves, as they go to the National Toy Building Academy. Elfred doesn't go to school since penguins do not get an education, they learn from their parents.
Lately, Elfred has been thinking about Elf Hills, and how he wishes sometimes that he lived there.
The last guest had left the igloo before night fall, and Elfred walked to Ice Valley Pond. He met up with Wally there.
Elfred spoke to Wally, " Well, now that I am 13, I am considered a working elf. I should be working at Santa's Workshop. I'm not saying I don't like it here, I just wish that I could be with other elves."
Wally answered, " I understand what you mean. What I want to know, is how did you ever come to be a son of two penguins? I have known you for my whole life, and you have never told me the reason you are here."
Elfred stared blankly in the sky, " I don't know. I have never asked myself that question before."
Trying to end the conversation, Elfred cast his fishing rod into the pond. Wally grabbed his, and the topic was never brought up again.
Elfred headed back for his igloo, carrying two squids that he had caught himself. While walking home, Elfred thought to himself about what Wally had said. Wally's question was stuck in his head throughout the night. He had to find out the truth of why he is here.
Elfred walked inside and saw his parents eating some krill, " Mom, Dad. Can we talk about something?"
They answered in unison, " Of course."
Elfred began speaking, " While Wally and I were up at the pond, he asked me a question that I didn't have an answer too."
" What did he ask you?" replied Belle.
" He asked me why I am an elf, why I live here, and why do I have penguins for parents."
Looking at each other, Belle and Noah whispered in each other's ears. Sighing, Belle began to talk, " Ok Elfred, listen. We knew one day you would ask us this question and me and your dad promised ourselves we would tell you. 13 years ago, actually on this day 13 years ago, your dad and me were approached by a woman, her name was Holly, and she was being pursued by police elves. She was holding a newborn elfin. Holly, risking everything to save her elfin, handed the elfin over to us. She told us to raise him and protect him until she returned. That elfin was you."
Elfred was overwhelmed. He looked at them with an open mouth. Breathing heavily, he then asked, " So your not my parents?"
Belle and Noah both looked down and shook their heads. Elfred began to cry, and Noah wrapped his comforting wings around him.
Looking ashamed at what she had done, Belle said, " I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner, but we wanted to tell you at the right time."
Elfred was speechless. He thought of Elf Hills, and all that he missed out on. Wondering where his parents were today. So Elfred, still amazed at what he had just heard, asked Belle and Noah if they knew where his parents were.
Answering Elfred, Noah replied, " All we know is that they were from Elf Hills."
Elfred put the two squids he caught at the pond on the table, and said he was going to go to bed.
He sat on his bed, thinking of a way to find his parents. His eyes were heavy now, but he spoke silently to himself before he fell back on his bed, covering himself with a thick, wool blanket.
" Tomorrow... I am going to Elf Hills."

No comments: