Sunday, November 30, 2008

Chapter 5: A New Friend

Elfred and Wally had traveled for what they felt was forever. The snow made it diffucult to see any further then 5 feet in front. They were now navigating their way through a forest filled with trees that were lined with giant icicles.

" Watch out Wally, you don't want any of those icicles falling on you." warned Elfred.

Wally led them under a log that covered a small underpass filled with frozen leaves. Wally slipped as he went under the log and landed in a pile of leaves. Elfred helped him up, only to hear sticks above them snapping and cracking .

" What's that noise?" asked Wally.

" It sounds like something is near us." answered Elfred.

They stealthly moved their way on the edge of the underpass as they now held their backs against the edge. Elfred peeked through an opening in the leaves, seeing something in the distance. He couldn't determine what it was but as he continued to look on, a giant leg nearly stepped on his head. Elfred fell down and was buried in the midst of the leaves.

" There's something out there." Elfred whispered in a nervous tone.

Wally peeked out, " Elfred, it's only a moose. It is just eating some moss on the log."

Elfred lifted himself off the ground and climbed out with Wally. The moose looked at thme both.

" I'm sorry, did I disturb you two." asked the moose.

" No sir, we thought something dangerous was out here." replied Elfred.

The moose responded, " Nope, it's only me."

Elfred and Wally chuckled together. " So what are you doing out here?"

" I'm a nomad. I don't live anywhere. I've been wandering around for almost a year now." said the moose.

Elfred looked at Wally, " Oh, we are traveling to Elf Hills to find my parents. I'm Elfred and he's Wally."

" Nice to meet you guys, I'm Murray." He spoke with a mouthful of moss.

Wally whispered something in Elfred's ear. Elfred turned to Murray, " Murray, would you like to accompany us on our journey to Elf Hills?"

" A journey? I love journeys. Of course I would." said Murray as he pranced around.

Elfred climbed up onto Murray's back, then Wally leaped up and they both sat atop Murray.

" Okay Murray, next stop: Elf Hills."

No comments: